The literary display is housed in a building constructed between 1923-1925 for the Polish entrepreneur Antoni Uwiera. It is a two-storey neo-classicist building. The project was designed by Lviv architect Ivan Bahensky. In the early 1990s, the building was given to the museum for administrative purposes and as a venue for the literary display.
The display was set up in 2006 in honour of the 150th anniversary of the writer's birth.
With the help of books, pictures, documents and works of art the life story of Ivan Franko is told – as writer, translator, scientist, social and political activist.